Compiled by Lisa Graham, 2006.
Jan 05, 1915
-Charley Martin, colored was shot and killed by Fred Matthews, Negro. (December)
-Mr. and Mrs. C. Worley of Sanford have a baby girl.
- Mrs. George Brooks burn will probably prove fatally, she lives abt. 6 miles East of Troy, her sister is R.H. Helms of Andalusia.
-Ewell Pearce sustained a knife wound and Claude Wallace was shot in the left shoulder at Danley’s Crossroads on Christmas day. Neither is fatal-Opp Messanger
New subscribers- J.L. Presley of Red Level, P.R. Puckett of Columbus, Ga., R. F. White of Newell Fl., Geo Stewart of Hope Hull, Ala., D.E. Cook of Sanford, Ala., D. M. Daughtery of Greensboro, Ala. & John Bass of Red Level.
- Miss Bertha Barnes was the guest of Misses Bulgar at Andalusia this weekend.
- New motor car badly wrecked near William McGowin’s, The occupants in the car, Dr. W.W. Pierson, Rev. T.H. Jones; Montgomery, John Lingo and Mr. Goodwin and Warden J.N. Jernigan.
List of letters remaining at Post Office week ending Jan. 2, 1915: Cook, Miss Lena, Cook, Henry Euffis, Miss Susie, Freeman, Viola, Gartrell, Miss Georgia Jones, Willie, Lee, James, Matthews, Mrs. Martha None, Miss Minnie, Nall, Marvin, Posey, S. J. Pugh, J.H., Reed, Mrs. Ada, Rivers, E. L. Taylor, H.L., Wilson, W.P.
- Notice: Nicy Stokes of Laurell Hill, Fla., made Serial Homestead No. on Jan 18, 1911 for homestead on the Tallahassee Meridian. Witnesses are: James W. Gaskins, William Stokes, Henry M. Stokes, Henry A. Stokes, all of Laurell Hill Fl. Cato D. Glover, Register.
-Notice- Henry O. Wilks of Opp, who on April 21, 1913 made Serial Homestead No. East of St. Stephens Meredian. Witnesses: Thomas A. Bethune, Augustus M. Terrell, Henry C. Tison, Odus Bussy, all of Opp, Ala.-Herbert Dorsey shot and killed Alto Thomas, negro at Opp two weeks ago surrendered Thursday morning.- Opp messenger
Jan. 08, 1915
-Dock Hartley, Negro found dead in the swamps Jan. 1
-George Rachael of Coffee Co. was thrown from his horse and killed.
-J.B. Dubose died at home, Sunday, 10th Jan. age 48, widow & 4 children- Evergreen Courant Newspaper.
-List of some people living in Andalusia Route 4; Evans Rodgers, Miss Alice Kilpatrick, Mr. & Mrs. H.H. Leonard, Dan McCastle, J.O. Hunter & wife, Miss Buna Smith.
- J. S. Jackson and his brother-in-law, J. T. Hays, of Covington Co. were bond over to the Grand Jury on charges of illicit distilling.
- Miss Pearl Johnson with her Aunt, Mrs. Annie Helms, and cousins, Bonnie and Effie Tillman, of Andalusia have been visiting relatives near Chestnut Grove, Coffee County.
-Infant of J.W. Little is very sick.
-Marriage; Mrs. Lizzie Strickland of Andalusia and J,C, Thagard, formerly of Oklahoma were married.
-Marriage; William Barnes and Miss Lena Jackson, both of Oakey Streak were married last Wednesday at the Courthouse.
-New subscribers: S.R. Gatlin of Opp, Duncan Gillis of DeFuniak, Fla., M.J. Rambo of River falls, J.J. Barrow of New Augusta, Miss., J.W. Williams of Dozier, H. Robbins of Opp.
- Miss Lula Hart has been the guest of her brother at Newell, Fla. the past few days.
-T. Tart of Andalusia was a visitor to Coffee Co.
Jan. 12, 1915 (Tuesday)
Mrs. M.F. Powell died Jan 9th, buried at Zion Rock Cemetery on the 10th, she was married to James E. Powell, he died Dec. 31, 1875.
Dr. Homer Stallings wife’s funeral was held Wednesday, baby only a few days old preceded the mother.
Mr. and Mrs. Andrews are rejoicing over the arrival of a fine baby Boy !
Little child of John Sowell’s is very sick.
David Lunsford and Miss Anna Hogg were married Sunday by Rev. Bailey.
J.T. Bradshaw of Ozark, Al. died.
Dan Williamson died Jan 11th of heart disease.
Mrs. W.A. Eiland died Wednesday- Samson Ledger
Mrs. Flora Bedderton, age 60 died Jan 11th.
-New Subscribers: S.M. Smith;Red Level, Hon. W.G. Williams;Dozier, F.M. Newman; Andalusia,
Dr. W.M. Blair;Gantt, W.L. Porter; Andalusia, Tom Rawls;Gantt, Will Bryan;Opp, W.S. Hart;Andalusia, L.E. Courson;Opp,W.H. Williams; Andalusia, J.W. Davis;Andalusia, W.W. Carter; Andalusia, R.E. Vick; Red Level, G.H. Shreve;San Diego, Ca., M.E. Barton; Red Level.
-List of Letter remaining undelivered in Andalusia ending Jan 9th, 1915.
W. M. Bell, Fred Dean, L.M. Dix, Mrs. minnie Gunter, Sidhey Gilbert, Willie Davis, John D. McLin, W. M. Mason, Miss Stella Rogers, Rev. Stanford, P.R. Taylor, Frank Tucker, Miss Laura Lee Union, J. E. Watson.
- B.F. Luttrell and family have again became citizens of Florala.
Marriage: Greenville, Mrs. Clara Lou Hamilton, mother of the bride requests your honor, of Francis Beeland to wed mr. Broughton Wilkerson on Jan 20th.
Marriage; Mr. Ganey and Miss Annie Joe Brannon of Brantley were married at Andalusia last Sunday.
Mr. and Mrs. Bub Butler’s little child fell into a fire but wasn’t badly burned.
January 15, 1915 (Friday)
- Hamp Wiggins, white was arrested Wednesday, the charges using a knife with deadly intent on a young man named Mae Burns near Wiggins School house.
-Mac Burns aged 17 of Opp has Pneumonia.
-Born to Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Reeves at Florala, a Son !
-Mrs. J.D. Bozeman who has been ill for 5 years will be brought back from Montgomery today. There is little improvement.
-Covington County Jury Commissioners are composed of : H. G. McLaney, J. N. Baron, Hon. M.A. George, Hon. N.B. Powell
-Little child of James Bass is seriously ill.
- Mrs. H.G. Riley is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kilpatrick.
-Wife of Dr. Homer Stallings is dead at Troy, formerly a citizen of Andalusia. Baby, only a few days old, preceeded the mother to eternal rest.
-Mrs. Powell of Route 4 Andalusia died Saturday and was buried Sunday.
Administration notice: Covington Co. Application of Mattie Belle McDaniel, adm’x for the estate of D.B. McDaniel, deceased. Notice given that as of jan. 5, 1915, the estate was declared insolvent.
-Notice for Publication: Land office in Montgomery- Jan. 12, 1915, Chester A. Carey of Andalusia, Ala, who on Dec. 22, 1908, and serial Homestead no. St. Stephens Meredian, five years proof. Witnesses: William B. Watkins, George W. Barnes, Joseph R. Messer, Eliza R. Nelson, all of Andalusia, Ala.
- Hillery Houston and S. J. Houston has a preliminary trial on a warrant charging they assaulted the Jones family near Sanford with intent to murder. The case was discharged.
New subscribers M.F. Wilson, Miss Irma Murphy, W. J. Taylor, H. L. Smith, R. L. Henderson, John H. Sasser, W. J. Gilmer of Andalusia, Bennie Owens of Dozier, C. J. Helms of River Falls,
D. W. Blocker, J. S. Redmon, J.T. Benson of Opp, & T. L. Williams of Tallahassee Fla.
-Father of J. T. Bradshaw and Mrs. W. B. Baker of Andalusia died this week at Ozark ,T. J. Bradshaw, the dead man, frequently visited Andalusia.
- Mrs. W.A. Eiland died Wednesday morning of Pneumonia- Samson Ledger
-Bennie Owens, Dozier, is champion corn grower of Ala.
January 19, 1915 (Tuesday)
-P. K. Richards and Miss Lizzie Cannon were married in Bagdad, at the bride’s Mother’s home on Wednesday Morning.
-W.C.W. Cawthorn was severely injured in the left leg while chopping wood Saturday.
-New subscribers: S.C. Spicer Sr., J.A. Campbell, J. M. Davenport, J. F. Bradley, W. E. Sutton of Andaulsia, E.P. Hales of Gantt, E. H. Moody of Opp & T.A. Beckett of Johns Island S.C.
- List of letters remaining at the Andalusia Post Office ending Jan 16, 1915: Miss Lissie Armstrong, H.N. Adam, Mrs. Adolphos Abram, John Crutchfield, Mrs. Honter Jones, Mrs. Ester McKinnie, Ennis Roberts, Tobe Stamps, West Stonys, Tobe stamps, Mrs. Allie Tudes, Mrs. Sweetie Walker, Sidney Winn.
Jan 22,1915 (Friday)
-Bogin McQuay, af Andalusia was probably fatally injured Monday by a blow to the skull by a spade in the hands of Sydney Raley.
-Mrs. J. F. King is complaining with of a lame foot.
-Preston and Lonnie Henderson visited their sister, Mrs. Carlos Tart at Dixie Sunday.
-L.M. Morgan is building a five room bungalow on Pearl St.
-Misses Bertha BARNES and Emma Windham attended preaching at Red Oak.
-Miss Martha Riley of Andalusia visited her brother Fred Riley in Geneva.
-Born to Mr. and Mrs. D.C. Padgett of Andalusia, A daughter.
-Born to Mr. and Mrs. Nick Kelley of Sanford- a boy !
-New subscribers: L.H. Sightler; Black Ala, W.J. Nunnery; Shreve Ala, Hon. Sydney Douglas, Mobile, Ala, Geo. Victor; Norfolk Va., R.J. Perry, D. R. Page, of Florala; E. A. Straughn, C.C. Henley, S. I. Connell, Mrs. E. J. Tipton, N. H. Jernigan; Andalusia
- Hance Gary, good negro, who moved from here to Careyville last year died and was buried at Greenville Sunday.
-Families who moved from Heath to Route 5 are E. M. Ham, John Powell, T. A. Stinson, S. M. McLeod, M. J. Harris, Mr. Carr & Mr. Kirkland.
-Debate at Bethany school house Friday night, “Resolved, that laziness is more detrimental than whiskey.” A.M. Rape, Cliff Burleson, Griffin Barton, EDWARD BARNES, Fritz Fitzpatrick and Charlie Goolsby would be good speakers.
- Went to the debate on Thursday night in Dozier at the Lord School house: Josh Jordan, Levi Kelley, Bill Kelley,
Luther Greer, Roy Wyatt, Glen Dukes and Robert Baker.
Jan. 26, 1915
- John Alexander Kilpatrick of Montgomery died Suddenly Sunday of heart disease, funeral occurred Monday at the Montgomery Presbyterian Church.
-W.T. Walling killed J.M. Sexton at Kingston Thursday night. Walling summoned a physician after he shot Sexton down but nothing could be done.
-Clifton Carroll killed instantly by accidentally touching a guy wire in Ozark. He was the son of Mr. Yancey Carroll. He is survived by his father, mother and brothers and sisters, two of his brothers are Sam and Jesse Carroll
- Jan. 24- Ozark
W.S. Thorington, Alabama lawyer died at his home in Montgomery Sunday night.
-Letters remaining at the Andalusia Post Office ending Jan. 23, 1915:
D.B. Banks, Mrs. E.J. Brooks, Mrs. Mamie C. Bell, Lelar Crouder, mrs. mandy Dubose, Mrs. Lizzie Evin, J.T. Epperson, Coro Floyd, Mrs. Maggie Green, Miss bell Goss, Rufus Heath, Thins Hammonds, Mrs. Haret Hall, Ellen Johnson, Mrs. Mamie Mantese, John Merriman, Mrs. Pearl Pruett, Paul Stringes, Allie Venson.
Wedding- Miss Francis Beeland and Mr. Broughton Wilkinson were wed in Greenville on Wed. the 20th. Mrs. Wade Allen Rogers of Andalusia, The brides sister was matron of honor. The bride entered with her Uncle, Mr. L.J. Beeland, and was met at the alter with the Groom and his brother, Mr. H. Z. Wilkinson, Jr. of Andalusia. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Clara Powell Hamilton. The grooms parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. Z. Wilkinson of Greenville is where the couple will make their home.
-J. E. Seegers of Andalusia was at Montgomery Friday.
- A birthday celebration on Jan. 8th by Mr. and Mrs. R.R. Rainer in honor of their son, Sam.
-Miss Bernice Tisdale of Opp was carried to Montgomery for an operation is back home.
-New Subscribers: M.W. Autman, T.E. Wiggins, F.M. Vicks, Morgan Forsythe, C.A. Bush, C.C. Henley of Andalusia, J. N. Davidson of Rockmart, Ga., J.I. Brown of Gantt, Mrs. Willie Bradbury, Inverness, L.H. Sightler of Black Ala.
-W.A. Brown and L.B. Clanton have returned from South Carolina.
January 29, 1915
- New subscribers: Mrs. Julia Johnson; Oklahoma City, Okla. J. W. Malcomb; Marlington, W. Va., J. L. Ward, B.R. McDaniel, G.W. Kilpatrick of Andalusia.
- Andalusia Girls Working Club of teh baptist Church had a business meeting Tuesday at the home of Miss Phillipa Prestwood, Present were Miss Ruth O’Neal, Oline Taylor, Mary Wilks, Winnie Wilks, Kate Folsom, Jessie Folsom, Duma Barton, Annie Sentell, Minnie Adams, Eleanor Parker and Mrs. Grace Doninger.
-Mrs. C.N. Wharton entertained a few friends at dinner Tuesday. The participants were; Mesdames G.B. Frierson, T.F. Plummer, D.A. McArtan, J. W. Barnes and E.C. Gunn.
-Bankrupt Sale- I. as receiver of W.H. Hudson, Bankrupt, will offer to the highest bidder on 29th day of Jan. 1915, Andalusia, County if Covington.
-Married; John P. Steels and Miss Effie Caton, M.L. Hamilton and Miss Susan Kelley, H.J. Corbin and Miss Martha Lowey.
-Married at Red Level, Samuel Cooper and Miss Curry on Sunday night.
-R.H. Stallings of Florala killed a 234 pound pig.
Jan. 02, 1917
*Dec. 30, 1916 , The Supreme Court announced that the application submitted by SAM SPICER, JR. of Covington for a re-hearing was refused. He was convicted of killing his wife. He employed a Negro to kill her in order to obtain the insurance on her life.
*Mrs. W. H. Hudson and her Mother, Mrs. M. E. Davis, of Andalusia spent last week in Jay, Fl.
* Mortgage sale: Executed by John Ward and wife, F.A. Ward, lands in Covington Co., which mortgage is payable to R.S. Hart. Sale 22nd Jan., 1917. By J. F. Jones, Attorney.
* Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Dunson of Cedar Rapids, Iowa arrived in Andaulsia, Mr. Dunson is the brother of Mrs. P.J. Gantt, lately deceased. He arrived five days after her burial.
* Marriage License- Judge J.M. Robinson issued license to:
Ollie B. Mount and Miss Mary Almstead
S.O. Straughn and Miss Zonie Duke
Iowa Sasser and Miss Bessie Veasey
Bubba Johnson and Miss Mamie Barnes
* Marriage of Elizabeth Beasley and Mr. Frank Gunter was Sunday at Andalusia.
Mrs. Gunter is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Beasley, near Andalusia.
* Born to Mr. & Mrs. J.N. Baron on the 29th Ult., a 12 lb. boy. This is the 17th child to be born to Mr. and Mrs. Barron and 12 are still living.
* Miss Mary Alice Simmons Saturday at her home on South Three Notch Street.
Mrs Simmons guest were: Misses annie Clare Chapman, Corie V. Fincher, Fay O’Neal, Mary Hill Randle, Cassie Hill of Brantley; Mildred Gantt of Gantt; Mary Eliza McArtan, Stella Nance, Lucene Prestwood, Eva Mae Bradshaw, Leolive Benson, Ola Byrd Padgett, Cecelia Milligan, Ella Gunn, Mary McLendon, Wilmer Baisden, Ruth Mccann, Thelms Spicer, Thelma Windham, Alice Kennedy, Lois Zeagler, Mary Ester Ziegler, Messrs. Edward Simmons, Brickle Parks, Glover Waits, Marion TAYLOR, Sam Harpe of Gantt; George Whaley, Will Randolph,
Eugene Dugger, Worth Gantt of Gantt; Jesse Taylor, Ped Ray, Wilford Shreve, Bernace Sellers, Joe Wheeler McLaney, John McArtan, Cecil Straughn, Howell Nance, Eugene Sentell, Morris Law, Fowler Dugger.
Mr. and Mrs. H.G. Finley will move to Buena Vista Ga. on Wed. or Thurs.
* List of letters remaining at Post Office at Andalusia week ending December
Mrs. Ester Arrington, J.D. Bell, Miss Henrietta Barnes, Mrs. Mollie Brown,
Jesse Carrol, Hoke Crow, Mrs. Molie Euaght, Mrs. Ader Frazier, A.C. Freeman,
Dozier Gambill, George Hindue, Fannie Henderson, H. M. Jocos, Grady Johnson,
Mrs. Bessie Jackson, Eulke Lusie, Miss Ida Lewis, Willie Lemon, Will Lemon,
Maly Martin, Miss Lillie McCoy, Miss Minnie McCoy, Miss Lottie Prather, Rosie
Perdue, Mrs. Texas Perdue, Hutch Wilson, J. H. Pryor.
January 5, 1917
(Note: The Jan 9th Edition has some of Jan. 5th’s pages microfilmed in with it.) I had to separate the 2 papers while transcribing. I left the spellings as it is in the newspapers. Good Luck !! Note: There are also missing pages.
* Married- William Dorsey and Miss Emma Day were married on Thursday.
*Born- Mr. & Mrs. Kimmie Bryan of Beda, are smiles- It’s a Boy !
*Died- Mrs. Lena M. Gantt on Dec. 23, 1916.
* Mrs. Ann Gaines Hubbard died on Thursday at her home in Troy, age 74, widow of the late Judge J.P. Hubbard.
*Notice of settlement: Final settlement in the matter of the Estate of
Mary L. McWorter, deceased. Edward Doty as Administrator, witness this 26th Day of Dec. 1916.
* Mrs. B.B. Brantley is ill of Lagrippe.
*Application being made for Pardon of Barney Davis, convict of Robbery in the law of Covington County in 1914 and sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. This Jan 2, 1917.
* Mr. and Mrs. George Baker of Florala spent the week in Montgomery.
* Mrs. Sarah Etheridge returned to Andalusia after a visit in Montgomery with her daughter, Mrs. Brooks.
* Mrs. Dora Dunking and daughter are spending the week with Mrs. Dunklins’ sister,
Mrs. J.W. Taylor.
* Henry Bullock of Red Level is visiting his Aunt, Mrs. Mason, at Black Ala.
* Mr. W. M. Short of Route B is suffering from an attack of Pneumonia.
* Will Jackson of Loango was visiting Route F Sunday.
* Mrs. Joe Parker of Beda is very ill.
* Miss Marie Clements of Florala is the guest in Andalusia of her sister, Mrs. Wilbur Glover.
* 3 Butler County Shotgun accidents. Greenville, Ala., Jan. 8th.
** Jesse Hayes, a farmer, after hunting, returned and left gun in the yard, his young son cocked the gun and pointed at his father and in excitement pulled the trigger. the load of shot entered the face of Hayes. His wounds were not serious.
** Will Stewart, a farmer, was out hunting and while going through a wire fence, the trigger on his gun became caught. The gun discharged and it is expected he will lose his arm.
**W. J. Creech, a farmer, went into the yard to kill a hawk, and shot himself
in the arm. It is almost severed from his body.
January 9, 1917
*Marriage License issued by Judge J. M. Robinson
Charles H. Lindsey and Miss Allie Henderson.
Jacob Green and Miss Nora Belle Lucas
* Miss Leila Fendley is ill with typhoid pneumonia.
*Wedding of Mr. Henry Paul Fritzinger of Opp and Miss Bena Smith Rhoades. The brides parents are Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Rhoades. The bride’s cousin is Miss Mamie Bodiford.
* The Estate of D.J. Law, Deceased, in probate court, Covington Co., This day came C.W. Hall and W. M. Willis, Exec‘s. for the Estate of John I. Deens, deceased, who was before the death Admr. of the estate of D.J. Law, deceased, and filed their statements.
*List of letters remaining undelivered in the Andulsia Post Office Jan 6th, 1917.
J.D. Bailey, Sallie L. Braggs, Garney Banks, O. E. Benboe, W. C. Brogel, William
R. Bonds, Lucy Cairder, Sarah Callwell, Ernest Cobb, Emma Cone, Johnson Franklin,
O. Gantt, Charley Garner, Kate Harrison, Elizabeth Harris, W. Hoffer, Mary
Roal hood, Willie Hill, Lola Jones, James Jackson, Florence Mayfield, R.A.
W. H. Mathews, A. McLean, Mamie Nicholson, L.B. Owens, Lonie Phillips, Cleve Pleas, Ella Powell, D. Stallin, E. Smith, J.F. Suttle, Eap Stansher, NellieTaylor, B. L. Thompson, Ella Turner, Lulah Thomas, Hughie Millines, Theo. Zmron.
*Alton Douglas of Geneva was the guest of his brother, W.A. Douglas.
*Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Baldwin entertained a class at the Methodist sunday School.
The guest present were misses Addie Jackson, Lottie Lee Searcy, Ella Fleming,
Lummie Lou Deal and Ida Hollond, Messrs. W.T. Deal, Cuyler Huggins, Haygood
West, Donald Fritzinger and Green Carter.
January 12, 1917
*Died, infant of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Mitchell and was laid to rest at Valley Grove last Wednesday.
* The body of little Gladys Owens, who drowned in an accident in Shoal River before Christmas was found last week not far from where the body of the mother was found. The body was decomposed but not mutilated in any way.
*Wiley Frazer of Andalusia was here Tuesday with Attorney’s against a damage suit against Okaloosa County on account of the alleged unsafe condition of the Shoal Rover bridge which resulted in the death of Mrs. C. L. Owens and daughter-Defuniak Springs, (Fla.)
*Miss Ella Gunn has been attacked by Appendicitis. Her Grandmother, Mrs. M.B. Gunn was called to Andalusia from Early Co. Ga.
* Mr. and Mrs. Rus Devant of Route B, Opp have a baby girl !
* Mrs. E. R. Smith and little son are visiting Brewton.
*In Valley Grove, Mrs. Cytha Woods, Mother of Mrs. Mooneyham, has returned from a visit in Coffee Co. She is now spending some time with her Grand daughter, Mrs. L. H. Matthews.
*Blake Dunson was in the city visiting his sister, Mrs. J.M. Farmer. (Samson Ledger)
*Miss Olive and Felix Childre visited their cousin, Charlie Short, Sunday.
January 16, 1917
*Judge Salter’s court, Jan. 15, cases disposed of:
E.J. White Sorrell, violating the law, waived.
Pat Jackson, Larceny of a hog, discharged.
John Johnson, abusive language, continued by the State, witnesses summoned.
Rockford Parks, violating game law forfeiture vs. bail.
Mary Lewis, Vagrancy.
H.V. Teel, attachment, vs. Ben Powell, N.M. McIntosh, claimant, con’t to 5th Feb.
R.H. McLendon, unlawful detainer, con’t to Feb 5th.
J.M. Head Vs. George Roberson, judgment for defendant for sum sued for.
Neal Clark and Will Dobbin, et al emergrant agents without a licenses, continued to Jan 20, 1917 Court.
*Engagement announcement- Mrs. Annie Randall Fox announces the engagement of her daughter, Willie Randall , to Miles Clayton Algood. The wedding will be on February 1st 1917, Montgomery, AL.
*Marriages- Judge J.M. Robinson has issued marriage license for:
Z.A. Shows and Miss Clara Peavy; Ernest Mills and Miss Willie D. Radford;
Harvey Davidson and Miss Lena Dreding; F.A. Nortor and Miss Nora McGuirk.
*List of letters remaining at Post Office Jan. 13, 1917 in Addalusia;
Annie Baker, G.W. Berry, Willie Cheatham, Winnie Glascow, Hattie Irwin, Joseph Jordan, Mrs. Hill Jones, Dollie Lyder, Mike Lovie, Guss Moore, Rebecca Morton, L.H. McMillan, Mamie Nicholson, Eddie Reed, W.C. Thomason, James Thomason, J.P. Thomas, Grant Pittman, Elvery Parker, Mandy Parson, Rosa Parker, Thos. R. Waters, M. L. Wells, Miss Janet Williams, W.E. Ways, Mrs. Mattie Mae Waller.
* The little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Claude White is ill at their home on East Watson Street.
* Mrs. W. A. Jeffrey left her home over the serious illness of her Father,
Captain Rogers to be at his bedside in Letohatchie.
January 19, 1917
* A Boy was born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank King.
*Misses Nora and Nellie Barnes passed through Buck Creek in Route to school in Red Level.
*W.A. Robison and Miss Ara Moore were married at the home of Rev. A.J. Preston
*Arzo Smith has a broken leg.
*H.H. King and family have moved to Georgiana.
* Mortgage sale.... Mortgage executed 3rd day of March, 1915 by N.J. Pitts & her husband, W.J. D. Pitts, The Bank of Gantt will sell on the 17th day of Feb, 1917.
*Miss Johnnie Glen of Greenville is a guest in Andalusia of her sister, Mrs. R.C. Brawner.
January 23, 1917
* Mrs. Rosa D. Parks became the bride of Mr. I. S. Wright of Opp. Judge Jesse Donaldson performed the ceremony.
* The 3 year old of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Turner of Beda died last Thursday.
* List of letters at Post Office Jan. 20, 1917
Corrie Acos, Eulaner Pinder, Maggie Bird, Henry Brodgen, Puw Blakely, Ernest Bass, N.B. Brooks, Susie brown, Wm. Brown, Lodgie Barer, Osa Crabitt, H.C. Calhoun, John Carrol, J. T. Dwyer, E.T. Davis, Wilbert Gaines, Dock Green, Walter Hall, Jessie Hightower, W.C. Hart, Catherine Jones, A.L. Johnson, Sarah B. Jones, minnie James, Vonsile Johnson, Ida B. Lyde, Frew Longshaw, Alice Martin, G.B. Martin, Rufus Martin, Clarence O’Neal, Jim Pitts, Mattie B. Parker, Roy Powell, J.M. Varner, Millit Savbell, Lillie Spain, Dessie Salter, B.B. Taylor, Jane Taylor, Henry Right, Wheeler Williamson, Mar Belna Wiggins, Katie Lee Welch.
*Herbert Etheridge is ill with measles at the home of his parents, Mrs. & Mrs. H.D. Etheridge, on South Three Notch Street.
*In Memory of brother S. Jackson who died December 25, 1916. He joined the Missionary Bapt. Church August 15, 1915.