Submitted by Jerry L. Segars, email@example.com
Generation No. 1
1. SAMUEL BARQUILLA "BUSTER"2 SEGARS (WILLIAM1)1,2,3,4 was born Jun 1854 in Florida, and died 31 Oct 1922 in Escambia County, Alabama5,6. He married (1) VIRGINIA (NEE?) SEGARS7 Abt. 18758. She was born Abt. 1832 in Florida. He married (2) ALBERTA (NEE?) SEGARS9 Abt. 1906. She was born 02 Jun 1873, and died Aft. 1930.
Notes for SAMUEL BARQUILLA "BUSTER" SEGARS:
Identified as "Barquilla," on the 1860 census and "Barcella," on the 1870 census in the home of William and Drucilla Segers. Samuel Siggars (sic) 25 wife Virginia 40 (sic), step-son John McGowan 15, William Siggars 45, and Jonas Siggars 23 lived in Samuel's household in Escambia County, Alabama on June 10, 1880.
Sam B. Siggars, born June 1854 forty-five years of age and wife Virginia born December 1847 (sic) sixty-two years of age were living in the Pine Grove Community, Escambia County, Alabama on June 4, 1900 when the census was taken.
Escambia County, Alabama Poll Tax Records show S.G. (sic B.) Seggers (sic) registered to vote in 1908. He was 54 years old (born about 1854) at the time he registered. The age matches Barquilla, Barcella, Samuel, Sam B., and S.B. Seggers, Siggers, Siggars of Escambia County, Alabama. Another entry in the records show that S.G. (sic B.) Siggers (sic) transferred from one voting precinct to another. A third entry showed Mrs. S.G. (sic B.) Seggers (sic) born June 2, 1873 registered to vote in 1922 at which time she was 49 years of age. This "Mrs. S.G. Seggers" can not be Virginia, because Virginia was much older than Samuel born 1854.
Buster Siggers age 52, wife Alberta 34, and daughter Dorothy age 1 lived in the Parker Community, Escambia County, Alabama on April 22, 1910 at census time. The census indicated "Buster" had been married twice and Alberta once. They had been married four years.
1920, not located.
S.B. Siggers (sic) died in Escambia County, Alabama October 31, 1922. Source: Alabama Deaths Records, 1908 - 1959, Volume 54, Roll 2, Page 26669. Death certificate was obtained. The death certificate indicated that S.B. Siggers died at age 68 of heart disease that he had been treated for for the past two years. His wife was recorded as Alberta. This is probably the "Mrs. S.G. (sic) Seggers" shown in the paragraph above who registered to vote in 1922, perhaps exercising her new rights granted by the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in 1920.
Notes for VIRGINIA (NEE?) SEGARS:
James McGowan 43, wife Virginia 38, and children; Sarah 16, Susan 14, John 6, and Susannah 4 lived in Louis Station Precinct, Escambia County, Alabama on July 30, 1870 when the census was taken. Ten years later, Virginia was married to Samuel Segars and her son John McGowan age 16 was living in Segars' household and identified as "step-son." Susannah, the four year old in 1870 was not with her mother in 1880.
More About SAMUEL SEGARS and VIRGINIA SEGARS:
Marriage: Abt. 187510
Notes for ALBERTA (NEE?) SEGARS:
Alberta and Samuel "Buster" Siggers lived next door to Tillman R. Alford and his family in 1910. Samuel and Alberta were not located on the 1920 census, but one of Tillman's sons, Doctor "Dock" Alford, was the "informant" on S.B. Siggers death certificate in 1922. "Elberta Sigers (sic) 52, a widow and two daughters; Sweetie 22 a divorcee and Agness (sic) 17 and grandson Tillman Douglas 3 lived in Escambia County, Alabama in 1930. There were Alford's living all around her.
More About SAMUEL SEGARS and ALBERTA SEGARS:
Marriage: Abt. 1906
Children of SAMUEL SEGARS and ALBERTA SEGARS are:
2. i. DOROTHY "SWEETIE"3 SEGARS, b. Abt. 1909, Escambia County, Alabama.
ii. AGNES SEGARS, b. Abt. 1913, Escambia County, Alabama.
Generation No. 2
2. DOROTHY "SWEETIE"3 SEGARS (SAMUEL BARQUILLA "BUSTER"2,
WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1909 in Escambia County, Alabama. She married a DOUGLAS.
Child of DOROTHY SEGARS and Mr. DOUGLAS is:
i. TILLMAN4 DOUGLAS11
1. 1860 US Census, Conecuh County, Alabama, identifies Barqilla as a nine
year old male in the home of William and Drucilla Segers.
2. 1870 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama, identifies Barcella (sic) as a 16 (sic) year old female (sic) in the household of William and Lucy Segars.
3. 1880 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama, Samuel Siggars (sic) 25 born in Alabama, wife Virginia 40 born in Florida and step-son John McGowan 15 born in Alabama lived next to William and Jonas Siggars (sic) in Escambia County, Alabama on June 10, 1880 when the US Census was taken. Samuel is the same age as Barquilla, in William's household in 1860 and 1870.
4. 1900 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama..
5. Alabama Death Records, 1908-1959.
6. Alabama Center for Health Statistics , Certificate of Death.
7. 1870 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama.
8. 1900 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama., indicated that Sam B. Siggars and Virginia had been married 25 years (about 1875).
9. Escambia County, Alabama Poll Tax Records, gave Mrs. S.G. (sic) birth date June 2, 1873.
10. 1900 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama., indicated that Sam B. Siggars and Virginia had been married 25 years (about 1875).
11. 1930 US Census, Escambia County, Alabama, Tillman Douglas lived with his grandmother, Elberta Sigers (sic) a widow and his mother "Sweetie" Sigers, a divorcee.
© "Tracking Your Roots"
All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those researching
their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of
these pages is prohibited--Copyright is retained by the author/contributor of the material and publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent
is in violation of the law. All persons contributing material for posting on
these pages do so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, and are responsible for assuring that no copyright is violated by submission.
Tracking Your Roots