Contributed by "Anita Glockner" firstname.lastname@example.org, JUL 2005
To download an Adobe Acrobat pdf file of Lisa Franklin's branch of these
O'Neals click here.
Descendants of John O'Neal
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 O'NEAL was born Bet. 1715 - 1720 in North Carolina or Ireland, and died Bet. 1800 - 1807 in Hancock Co.,Georgia. He married UNKNOWN.
Children of JOHN O'NEAL and UNKNOWN are:
i. JOHN2 O'NEAL, JR., b. 1749, Johnston Co., NC; d. 1836, Georgia; m. SARAH BRYANT; b. 1746.
2. ii. AXOM O'NEAL, b. 1750, Johnston Co., NC; d. 1793, Georgia.
iii. THEOPHOLIS O'NEAL, b. 1752, Johnston Co., NC.
iv. WILLIAM O'NEAL, b. 1754, Johnston Co., NC.
v. SARAH O'NEAL, b. 1756, Johnston Co., NC; d. 1843, Georgia.
3. vi. NATHANIEL O'NEAL, b. 1756, Johnston Co., NC; d. 1800.
vii. EDMUND O'NEAL, b. 1762, Johnston Co., NC; d. 1826, Georgia.
viii. WOOTEN O'NEAL, b. 1765, Georgia; d. 1822, Georgia.
Generation No. 2
2. AXOM2 O'NEAL (JOHN1) was born 1750 in Johnston Co., NC, and died 1793 in Georgia. He married RUTH ?.
Children of AXOM O'NEAL and RUTH ? are:
i. JAMES3 O'NEAL, b. 1774, Georgia.
ii. ELIZABETH O'NEAL, b. 1777.
4. iii. JOHN O'NEAL III, b. 1778, GA; d. 1860, Dale, Coffee, or Henry Co., AL.
5. iv. ZACHARIAH O'NEAL, b. 1781; d. 1849.
v. RACHEL O'NEAL, b. 1784; m. WILLIAM SIMMONS; d. 1814.
vi. ISAAC O'NEAL, b. 1787.
3. NATHANIEL2 O'NEAL (JOHN1) was born 1756 in Johnston Co., NC, and
died 1800. He married SARAH. She died 1804.
Children of NATHANIEL O'NEAL and SARAH are:
i. SARAH3 O'NEAL, b. 1791.
ii. THEOPHULIS O'NEAL, b. 1795.
iii. TABITHA O'NEAL, b. 1797.
iv. NATHAN O'NEAL, b. 1800.
Generation No. 3
4. JOHN3 O'NEAL III (AXOM2, JOHN1)1 was born 1778 in GA, and died
1860 in Dale, Coffee, or Henry Co., AL.
Children of JOHN O'NEAL III are:
6. i. MARTHA "PATSY"4 O'NEAL, b. 1807, Georgia.
7. ii. AXOM O'NEAL II, b. 1808, Georgia; d. 1880, Montgomery Co., TX.
8. iii. ELIZABETH O'NEAL, b. 1809, Georgia; d. 1886, Walton Co., FL.
9. iv. RACHEL O'NEAL, b. 1814, Georgia; d. February 14, 1864, Covington Co., AL.
v. ISAAC O'NEAL, b. 1817, Georgia.
10. vi. AMANDA E. O'NEAL, b. Bet. 1818 - 1820, Georgia; d. 1889, Dale Co., Alabama.
vii. MARY O'NEAL, b. 1819, Georgia; m. WILLIAM HENRY.
viii. JOHN L. O'NEAL, b. 1821, Georgia.
5. ZACHARIAH3 O'NEAL (AXOM2, JOHN1)2,3 was born 1781, and died 1849. He married (1) SARAH AMANDA EVANS. He married (2)
PERMELIA TAYLOR THOMPSON 1840 in Butts Co., GA. She was born 1814, and died 1883.
Children of ZACHARIAH O'NEAL and SARAH EVANS are:
i. AARON4 O'NEAL, b. 1805.
ii. EDWARD WOODWARD O'NEAL, b. October
iii. PALATINE O'NEAL, b. Abt. 1813.
iv. EVELINE O'NEAL, b. Abt. 1815.
Generation No. 4
6. MARTHA "PATSY"4 O'NEAL (JOHN3, AXOM2, JOHN1) was born 1807 in
Georgia. She married JAMES BOLES, JR.. He was born
1804 in Jones Co., GA.
Children of MARTHA O'NEAL and JAMES BOLES are:
i. HENRY5 BOLES, b. 1823.
ii. WILLIAM BOLES, b. 1828.
iii. AXOM BOLES, b. 1831.
iv. ANDREW BOLES, b. 1834.
v. MARY BOLES, b. 1836.
vi. MARTHA BOLES, b. 1839.
vii. SARAH BOLES, b. 1842.
viii. REBECCA BOLES, b. 1844.
ix. SUSAN BOLES, b. 1851.
7. AXOM4 O'NEAL II (JOHN3, AXOM2, JOHN1) was born
1808 in Georgia, and
died 1880 in Montgomery Co., TX. He married (1) JANE HENRY February
02, 1838. She was born 1824 in Alabama or Louisiana. He married (2)
FEREBY A. HULDAH PHELPS April 08, 1855. She was born December 20,
1826 in Walker's Beat, Dallas Co.,AL, and died October 25,
1894 in Keith,
Grimes Co., TX.
Children of AXOM O'NEAL and JANE HENRY are:
i. NANCY ANN5 ONEAL, b. 1838, Union
Co., AK; d. 1920, North
Madison Co., TX; m. JOHN FRANKLIN KIMMEY, December 23, 1854; b. 1834,
Dale Co., Alabama.
ii. MARY JANE ONEAL, b. 1840, Union Co.,
AK; m. CURTIS MARSHALL,
October 27, 1859; b. August 08, 1838, Panola Co., MS; d. October 05,
1916, Burkeville, Newton Co., TX.
iii. SINAI ONEAL, b. 1843, Union Co., AK;
d. Bef. 1880, Duster
Community, Commanche Co., AK; m. (1) DAVID VANCE; m.
(2) JASPER E. HICKMAN,
December 26, 1866; b. December 03, 1833, Fayette Co., AK; d. Aft.
iv. JOHN H. ONEAL, b. 1844, Arkansas.
v. ISAAC AXOM ONEAL, b. March 10, 1847,
Anderson Co., TX; d.
- 1898, North Zulch, Madison Co., TX; m. (1) ANNA BLANCHE PARKER; b.
July 03, 1861, Clarke Co., AL; d. 1904, Madison Co., TX; m. (2)
LUCINDA CURRY, December 24, 1868; b. March 28, 1847, Texas.
vi. HAMLIN ONEAL, b. 1849, Anderson Co.,
Children of AXOM O'NEAL and FEREBY PHELPS are:
vii. SARAH ELIZABETH5 O'NEAL, b. Bef.
1859, Newton Co., TX; d.
29, 1859, Newton Co., TX.
viii. FRANCES CAROLINE "CALLIE" O'NEAL, b.
1862, Texas; m. GEORGE
ROBERTS, February 28, 1878; b. 1858.
ix. ENOCH PRESTON O'NEAL, b. April 08,
1865; m. NANCY E. WOOD,
February 15, 1882; b. April 1864.
x. AMANDA MARTHA O'NEAL, b. 1866; m.
JASON F. JORDAN.
xi. JAMES O'NEAL, b. 1867.
8. ELIZABETH4 O'NEAL (JOHN3, AXOM2, JOHN1)4 was born 1809 in Georgia,
and died 1886 in Walton Co., FL. She married WILLIAM THOMAS CAWTHON
Abt. 1826. He was born 1785 in Georgia, and died 1870.
Children of ELIZABETH O'NEAL and WILLIAM CAWTHON
i. ASHSAH5 CAWTHON, b. 1827; d. 1907.
ii. WILLIAM JOSIAH DABNEY CAWTHON5, b.
1829, Alabama; d. 1915;
LOUISA HUTCHINSON6, Abt. 1852; b. Abt. 1827, Alabama.
iii. MARTHA CAWTHON.
iv. STEPHEN ASHLEY CAWTHON7, b. 1834,
Alabama; d. September 27,
DeFuniak Springs, FL; m. (1) MELISSA HUTCHINSON8; b.
1837, Florida; d.
Bet. 1860 - 1861; m. (2) GEORGIA PAGE9; d. Abt.
1898, Walton Co. FL; m.
(3) CATHERINE BELL10; d. December 30, 1944, Walton Co. FL.
v. MURRAY ANDREWS CAWTHON11, b. 1836,
Alabama; m. MARY J. ?,
1858; b. Abt. 1840.
9. RACHEL4 O'NEAL (JOHN3, AXOM2, JOHN1)12 was born
1814 in Georgia13,
and died February 14, 1864 in Covington Co., AL14,15. She married
WESLEY D. CARTER16,17,18 Bef. 1834. He was born Bet. 1804 - 1812 in
South Carolina19, and died February 02, 1888 in Covington Co., AL20.
Children of RACHEL O'NEAL and WESLEY CARTER are:
i. LEMUEL5 CARTER, b. 1834, Dale Co.,
Alabama21; d. May 26,
SOPHIA (SOPHONIA) ANN TUCKER22, Abt. 1862; b. 1839, Montgomery Co.,
AL23; d. February 1924, Crestview, Okaloosa Co., FL24.
ii. EMILY A. CARTER, b. 1838, Alabama25;
m. PETER STEELE III26,
1855, Walton Co., FL; b. 1823.
iii. EMANUEL A. CARTER, b. November 22,
1839, Dale County,
Alabama27,28; d. April 08, 1922, Laurel Hill, Okaloosa County, FL29;
MARION HALLFORD30,31,32, 1869; b. September 02, 1845, Butler County,
Alabama; d. Bet. 1920 - 1922, Laurel Hill, Okaloosa County, FL33.
iv. LEONARD W. CARTER34,35,36, b.
October 1844, Dale County,
Alabama37; d. Abt. 1925, Florida38; m. (1) MARY ELIZABETH CLARY39,
December 1866; b. June 25, 1848, Florida40,41,42; d. July 09, 1913,
Okaloosa County, FL43; m. (2) MANERVA T. KING44, December 06, 1914,
Walton County, FL45; b. 1872, Alabama; d. Aft. 1930.
v. ADELINE CARTER, b. Abt. 1849, Dale
vi. LANIER CARTER47,48,49, b. August 29,
1851, Dale County
January 26, 1930, Covington County, Alabama; m.
Abt. 1870; b. May 17, 1851, Covington Co., Al.
10. AMANDA E.4 O'NEAL (JOHN3, AXOM2, JOHN1) was born Bet. 1818 - 1820
in Georgia, and died 1889 in Dale Co., Alabama. She married WESLEY
DOWLING 1837, son of DEMPSEY DOWLING and MARTHA STOKES. He was born
1806 in Jeffries Creek, South Carolina, and died 1878 in Claybank,
Dale Co., AL.
Children of AMANDA O'NEAL and WESLEY DOWLING are:
i. COLONEL JASPER5 DOWLING, b. 1838.
ii. MARTIN DOWLING, b. 1841.
iii. MARION JASPER DOWLING, b. May 03,
1846, Dale Co., Alabama;
June 19, 1892, Dale Co., Alabama; m. URSULA REBECCA ATKINSON; b.
August 28, 1857, Greene Co., GA; d. November 10, 1938, Calhoun Co.,
iv. FRANCES DOWLING, b. 1850; m. ELISHA
WOODHAM, Abt. 1868; b.
1842 - 1845.
1. Descendants of John O'Neal; GedCom of Norma J. Hudson, April 8,2001.
2. Dudley O'Neal, Personal correspondence to Norma J. Hudson, April 27, 1996.
3. History of Butts Co., GA 1825-1976, Compiled by Lois McMichael for William McIntosh Chapter, DAR, Jackson, GA, (Cherokee Publishing Co., Atlanta, GA, 1978.
4. Descendants of John O'Neal; GedCom of Norma J. Hudson, April 8, 2001.
5. 1860 Walton Co., FL Census, Family 399/399, Spouse: LouisaChildren:
Wm. J. (7), Lewis H. (4), Lucinda (1)Others: Wm.
Meraweather (22) Elizer Cawthon (45, b. GA) --his Mother, Elizabeth O'Neal Cawthon.
6. Linda Clark, e-mail of January 23, 2005.
7. 1860 Walton Co., FL Census, Family 375/375, Spouse: Milissa (23
FL)Children: Franklin (5 FL), Mary Ala (4 FL), Luizer C. (1 FL).
8. Linda Clark, e-mail 1/25/05.
9. Walton County, FL Will Records, Book 1, pg. 133 and Book 2B pg. 55 (Roll 6A, Item 39), Lists children's names and that guardianship is
granted to "Stephen A. Cawthon, father of said minors, wife Georgia dec'd.
Minors have interest in estate of McK Page, dec'd in Coffee Co." (It is assumed that Georgia's last name may have been Page.) Guardianship
dated Apr. 29, 1898. (Bk.1) and June 1, 1899 (Bk @B).
10. Walton County, FL Marriage Record.
11. 1860 Walton Co., FL Census, Family 401/401,
Spouse: Mary J. (20 AL)Children: Stephen (1 FL).
12. Indian Wars Claim of Widow for Service Pension Under Act of July 27, 1892, Pension File No. WA- 1289 AL 21 Sept. 1892, "... Racheal Onel
[sic], who died on the -- day of Oct., A.D. 1863..." Information given by Wesley's widow Elizabeth Johnson.
13. 1850 Dale County Census, 229A.
14. Indian Wars Claim of Widow for Service Pension Under Act of July 27, 1892, Pension File No. WA- 1289 21 Sept. 1892,"...died on the --
day of Oct. A.D. 1863..."
15. Indian Wars Claim of Widow for Service Pension Under Act of July 27, 1892 and June 27, 1902, Supplement to # 1289; General Affidavit
Sept. 3, 1902, given by N.P. Kilpatrick and Caroline Johnson, "...We know that Wesley D. Carter's first wife died on Feby. 14, 1864..."
16. 1860 Walton County, FL Federal census, p.391.
17. 1850 Dale County AL Agricultural Census.
18. Early History of Covington County, ALabama 1821-1871, By Wuly Donald Ward p.339, Appendix K - Voters Registered in Covington County
Beat No. 7 on June 26, 1867: Carter, W.D. W [race] 144 [page number for the original book for the Loyalty Oath].
19. Four different Census, taken between 1850 and 1880, indicate four different birthdates, years ranging from 1804-1812
20. Indian Wars Claim of Widow for Service Pension Under Act of July 27, 1892, Pension File No. WA-1289 21 Sept, 1892, "...That her said husband died at
home, Covington on the 2 day of February A.D. 1888..."
21. 1850 Dale County Census, Page 229-A.
22. 1870 Walton County Census, p.812, Household no. 347.
23. Walter Scott Tucker FTW File by Gary Tucker, Rootsweb World Connect Page
24. Okaloosa News-Journal, December 23, 1971, Feature article by R. Dee Marcum, This article was written by the author as an assignment
for a Creative Writing Class at OWJC [Okaloosa Walton Junior College.] The story is reconstructed from personal interviews with the Carter
family's relatives and friends.].
25. 1850 Dale County Census, Page 229-A.
26. The American Genealogy Of the Steel Family, Written by Louise Martin Pate Cox. In possession of Peggy Chesteen, direct descendant of
Lanier Carter. Spouse and children's names cited in the same source.
27. Soldier's Application for Pension #3660 - Approved Feb. 5, 1906 [FL State Archives], Sworn, notarized statement given by E.A. Carter
November 24, 1904.
28. Certificate of Death, State of Florida Office of Vital Statistics.
29. Okaloosa County Death Index, Archival research of Ms. Sheila Lilia Martin, Death Certificate # 5312 Vol. 154.
30. 1920 Okaloosa County Census, Family No.66.
31. 1870 Kemper Co. Mississippi Census (Aug. 16, 1870), Page 193 1377/1377, Post Office: Wahalak Emanuel, Frances, and twin daughters
Rachel and Mollie, lived withFrances's parents, and brother John Julius' family.
32. 1910 Walton Co., FL Census, HH#46, Number of children indicated born to "Mary" (Frances Marion) is 6 born, 6 living.
33. 1920 Okaloosa County Census, Family no.66, Household consisted of Emanuel (age 80), Frances M. (age 75), and Dock Douglass (age 35).
34. 1870 Walton County Census, p.812 Household No. 344.
35. 1900 Covington Co. AL Census, Series T623, Roll:11, Page: 207 HH# 546, Leonard and Mary Elizabeth Carter are living with his son, John
W. Carter's family. John's sisters, Lula and Amanda are also living in this household. Leonard is identified as "William L., father" although
"William" does not appear on any previous documentation.
36. 1930 US Census, Florida, Okaloosa, Laurel Hill, District 5, HH#31, Head of household is Minerva Carter, Leonard's widow. He passed away before 1930.
37. 1850 Dale County Census, Page 229-A.
38. Indian Wars Claim of Widow for Service Pension, Original application card on file for Leonard Carter, Invalid application dated
Jan. 2, 1891 (#987078) Certificate No. 1071779Widow's aplication dated Feb. 18, 1926 (#1656347).
39. McLaughlin Funeral Home Records, "Amanda Elizabeth Remington, white female, born 9-9-1879 in Okaloosa Co. FL, died
7-7-1942 in Laurel Hill, FL Burial in Almarante Cemetery, Laurel Hill, Father and mother: Lenard Carter and Mary Elizabeth Clary."
40. Almarante Cemetery Tombstone Inscription, "Marey Elizabeth&Leonard Carter"Marey Elizabeth b. 25 Jun. 1848 d. 9 Jul, 1911Leonard:
Co. D 1st FL Cav. [no dates]Note: Leonard remarried. It is possible he is not buried here with Mary.
41. 1880 Walton County Census, Pct.6., Family History Library Film 1254132, Page No. 486D.
42. 1850 Walton County FL Census, HH# 156/156.
43. Almarante Cemetery Tombstone Inscription, Personally viewed and recorded by Joan Hallford Hidle.
44. 1920 Okaloosa County Census, Family No. 150 Sunnyside Ave., Leonard CARTER 75 ALManerva 48 (Manerva at first assumed to be daughter. However, Walton Co. Marriage Bk. 5, #370 shows Leonard m. Manerva betw. 9/1912 -9/1915).
45. Walton County FL, Marriage Book 5, p.370, CARTER, Leonard m. KING, ManervaWitnesses: J.F. Richbourg and Kate Richbourg.
46. 1850 Dale County Census, Page 229-A.
47. 1860 Walton Co., FL Census, P. 984 Almirante - June 30, 1860, Family 391 Carter, Wesley includes child " ...Lenia f 8 AL"
according to on-line transcription. Original microfilm indicates this person is a male, name looking closer to Lensa.
48. 1870 Covington Co. AL Census, Family 69/69, Family of W.B. [sic] Carter.
49. Ron Bryan, great-grandson of Lanier Carter.
50. Peggy Chesteen, Great grand-daughter of Lanier Carter.
51. Bob Bryan "Bryans of NW Florida and related Families", Internet Source: Family Tree Maker Online,
© "Tracking Your Roots"
All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those researching
their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of
these pages is prohibited--Copyright is retained by the author/contributor of the material and publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent
is in violation of the law. All persons contributing material for posting on
these pages do so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, and are responsible for assuring that no copyright is violated by submission.
Tracking Your Roots