Reproduced from THE OPP NEWS...Historical Edition issued: October 18, 1973 Contributed by: Mary Henley, email@example.com How Did Rose Hill Get It's Name? (by:Gus Bryan) The village of Rose Hill is located on the old Three Notch Trail just a few miles southeast of the Conecuh River at the Junction of the Opp-Dozier road. Varied stories have been told as to how Rose Hill recieved it's name. One story is that Andrew Jackson gave the place a name as he passed through in 1818. Another story is that an old Negro woman by the name of Rose formerly lived on a hill near the present stores and people began reffering to the place as Rose Hill because of this old Negro . Still another story is that a large Dorthy Perkuss (seven sisters) rose bush formerly stood near the site of Widow Colvin's old house and that the name originated because of this rose bush. Still another story is told that Rose Hill was once called China Hill. It is impossible to establish a date on which the pioneer settlers moved into Rose Hill community. It has been definitely established that white people were living in the area in the 1820's. The pioneer settlers came from Georgia, South Carolina, and areas adjacent to the Rose Hill area. No doubt the Three-Notch Road which was blazed in 1818 was used by some of the first settlers. It is presumed that this trail was an old Indian trail probably used by the Indians for hundreds of years previous to 1818. One may travel this route from Columbus, GA. to Pensacola, Fla., without crossing a stream that cannot easily be forded. It is said that friendly Indian scouts guided Jackson over this trail. If this is true, Indians had undoubtedly used this trail earlier. The trail recieved its name from the method used in marking it. Three notches were cut on trees or stakes to mark the the trail. Another route established early in the history of the area was route crossing Conecuh River about five miles northeast of Dozier (Bell Bridge, used before 1905). This road led south and southeast over the road now known as Possum Trot through the present Rose Hill proper, thence to Searight where it crossed the river the second time. During the early history of the community, settlers traveled to Pensacola, Greenville, Troy, and later to Searight to carry on their annual, or less frequent, trading. The Rose Hill area was covered with a thick growth of long leaf pine when the first settlers moved into it. Large quantities of this timber were cut, rafted, and floated down the Conecuh River in the early history of the community. ROSE HILL POST OFFICE The Rose Hill post office was established on December 24, 1855, with Andrew J. Feagin as postmaster. On June 8, 1857, James T. Brady became postamaster, and he was followed by Jefferson C. Mitchell on November 3, 1859. After Mitchell server one year, James T. Brady was again appointed to the office on Nov.7, 1860, and he served until Oct.9, 1866, when the office was discontinued. The Rose Hill post office was re-established on March 26, 186, with Elizabeth McLaughlin as postmaster. She served until Feb. 26, 1874, when it was again discontinued. Then on June 23rd, of that year (1874), it was re-established with James K. Thomas as postmaster. Thomas served until January 17, 1876, when he was replaced by William N. Brandon. He in turn was followed by John L. Stewart on May 29, 1878, and Henry Smith, April 24, 1893. On the 13th of June, 1894, the name was changed to Rose Hill and Alexander W. N. Carr became postmaster. Carr was followed by Murdock M. Grant on May 4, 1899; and Willie C. Grant who served from Oct. 19. 1901 to Feb. 28, 1906 when the post office was discontinued. PIONEERS OF ROSE HILL Richard Feagin came to the community in the 1820's. He constructed a log house on the site where Mrs. Mollie Colvin lived in 1950. The Colvin house contained the original structures with additions. Richard Feagin and wife were buried near the sit of the old Rose Hill School, which was located about two hundred yards west of the house in which he lived. In the 1820's Darling Dauphin settled near the site where Parker's home burned. Donald Jordan lives on this site today. James Dauphin, his son, and S.A. Dauphin, his grandson, lived in this vacinity during the years that preceeded the Civil War. This house was constructed by one of the three Dauphins mentioned above, prior to 1850. Archibald Tubberville, a preacher, settled in the vacinity of Rose Hill school in the 1820's. Jesse Tubberville, his son, constructed a house about one and one half miles noth of the present site of Bernice William's home about the year 1850. It is owned today by Arnold Merrill. Nothing remains of the Tubbervilles house at the present except a few old bricks. Barfield, another son of Archibald Tubberville, married Alma Bower's grandmother and constructed a house on Possum Trot Road. Alma Bowers lived on the old homestead of his grandmother before he died. W.H. Bower, Alma Bower's father, lived on this land before him. Alma Bower's grandfather, Sam Bower, came to this area some date before 1840. It is said that he was the first policeman of Troy, Alabama. At one time he worked for Joe Jernigan as an overseer and guard for slaves on the land at one time owned by Alma Bower. Joe Jernigan settled on Possum Trot Road and it is said that he built the house now occupied by Dempsey Bower's on Possum Trot Road, in the 1920's. Previous to 1850, Jernigan had a large far on Possum Trot Road about two and one half or three miles northeast of Rose Hill. As well well as could be established, he built the house now occupied by Dempsey Bower. Mr. Jernigan used slaves on his plantation. This is the only instance that any record has been obtained of slaves in this community. William Green Williams was known to be living in a house located on the site of Will Odem's home, three miles north of the old Rose Hill School on the Three Notch Road, before 1850. It is thought that Wiley Williams, father of William G. Williams, constructed this house in the 1820's. Bill Williams, son of W.G. Williams, was born in this house in 1852. He constructed a home near the present site of Mrs. Sammie Willliams about 1875. He was a farmer, turpentine still operator, served on the Covington County Board of Revenue, and served in the State Legislature from 1892 to 1896. He was defeated by the Populists in 1896, but was re-elected to the Legislature in 1902 and served until 1906. Mrs. Sammie Williams, wife of W.G. Williams, is living in a house near the original house built by Mr. Williams at the present time. [sic; ie. 1973] Jessie Bryan settled a few miles north of Rose Hill in Covington County about 1822. Several other Bryan families settled in this area a few years after. Bryans are said to have constructed the old water mill on Stewart Mill Creek four miles northeast of the old Rose Hill School. This mill is said to be the oldest water mill in this community, constructed about 1830. The rocks, parts of the old wheel, and parts of the old house could still be seen around 1950. According to the census of 1850, Jesse Bryan and wife were from South Carolina. Living with them at that time were their youngest daughter, Tolathia, and her husband William K. Williams, and four month old child Jesse. The 1860 census shows the elderly Bryan and wife with an overseer by the name of Lemuel Moody, also from South Carolina. Lemuel Moody was killed or died in the Civil War. His brother continued to live in the Rose Hill community and has many decendents there. The 1860 census shows Jesse Bryan, then an old man of eighty five to be very wealthy. His real estate was valued at $3000.00 and he had better than $18,000.00 in personal property. His real estate holdings were said to reach the river. His personal property supposedly included many slaves. It is thought that this Jesse Bryan was the son of Jessie Bryan and wife, Maurning Tubberville, of Marion District, South Carolina. It is known that they had a son Jessie who went west. The ages of Jessie Bryan, Jr., are agreeable with the son listed in South Carolina. Jessie Bryan of Alabama had several children, and it is only reasonable to say that Jessie Oliver Bryan was his son. They lived in a log cabin on the present Opp-Rose Hill road. The same plantation is now owned by the wife of Harvey Bryan, a grandson. The log cabin was still in the old field in 1950. Jessie Oliver Bryan and his wife are buried in the field of this plantation. It is said that when the first Jessie of Alabama was living ther was not a settled place between his home, which was known as the old William Willliams place, and his son Jessie Oliver's place. Jessie, the first, was carried by his slaves across his field and was buried in what is known as the Old Williams Cemetary. It is now grown up in trees and there is only the barest evidence of graves there. Henry White Head, a surveyor and preacher, settled near the present site of Mrs George Bryant's home prior to the year 1830. Richard Moody moved to this community in the 1820's and settled near the present site of Mrs. Henry Moody's home. John Moody is dead. Solomon Moody, a brother of Richard, came to this community about the same date as Richard and settled in the same community as his brother. A.J. Feagin, the first postmaster of Rose Hill. was living in a house near the Feagin graveyard on the Three Notch road one half mile south of W.C. Grant's home in 1860. David Cauley settled on the east side of Conecuh River near the present site of Oscar Butler's home in 1820. He was sheriff of Covington County in 1828. His daughter married James P. Parker, who had come to this community prior to 1839. James P. Parker established a store near the present site of Mr. Bill Butler's on the Rose Hill-Burnout Road, sometime prior to 1839. Windell Taylor settled near the present site of old Searight about 1800. He came to this country from South Carolina. His son, John A. Taylor, and grandson, Windell Taylor the second, settled on the Rose Hill-Searight road about one mile east of the Conecuh River about 1840. (John Taylor's grave is located in the Feagin Graveyard; he died in 1872. Many decendents and relatives of this family live in the Rose Hill community at the present time. John McLaughlin settled near Rose Hill about 1830. He constructed a log house a few yards north of Rose Hill Cemetary. A few years later he constructed a house on the site where Jim Croft's home once was. The Rose Hill post office was located in this house for several years. C.T. McLaughlin and Mrs. Jim Croft, son and daughter of John McLaughlin, are living at present in Rose Hill. C.T. McLaughlin operates a farm on some of the land John McLaughlin homesteaded. Leroy M. Straughn moved from Dozier and settled on the Rose Hill-Searight Road about one mile north of the present site of Mrs. Mattie Jones, about 1850. His son, Travis Straughn, settled on the present site of Junior Saul's home, which is located one half mile south of Rose Hill on the Rose Hill-Andalusia Road. Travis Straughn built the first house on this site during the Civil War period or immmediately afterward. Dr. James T. Brady came to the Rose Hill community prior to the Civil War. He was living in the Colvin house during the Civil War. He was at one time postmaster in Rose Hill. He served the community as doctor for many years. John L. Stewart moved into the Mollie Colvin home about 1875. He came from Georgia. He ran a store in Rose hill, was at one time postmaster of the town, ran a water mill near Rose Hill, and operated one of the first horse-drawn gins in this area. At the time Mr. Stewart moved to Rose Hill, the Three Notch road ran directly in front of the Colvin home. The house at that time faced the road squarely. The story is told that Mr. Stewart was dissatisfied with the road and the location of the store buildings in Rose Hill, which at that time were located between Mrs. Sarah Smith's house and the Colvin home. Mr. Stewart changed the road to the present location which called for a change also in the location of the stores. This is noticable at present because the Colvin home does not set square with the present road. Other pioneer settlers were known to have lived north of Rose Hill on Hickory Nut Ridge in 1830 to 1850 are: Jess Veasey, who settled near Veasey Cemetary; Bill Haygood, who settled north of Veasey Cemetary; Harvey Alsabrooks, who settled one half mile west of Veasey Cemetary; Johathan Mitchell; Jim Drake and a Mr. Brigman. R.H. Jones and C.T. McLaughlin tell's of a spot that apparently stands out in their memories. Prior to 1870, a water mill existed on a pond about one mile north of Walt Howell's present home. Parts of the old pond and dam still exist. Jess Tubberville owned and operated the mill for several years. All the boys of the neighborhood, so these men state, would gather at this pond on summer Sunday afternoons and go in swimming. Mr. Jones states that "store bought" bathing suits were not in order; in fact, there was no such thing then. Probably the first water power gin was constructed on this pond about 1850. It was known to be operating a few years before the Civil War. OLD CAULEYSVILE STORE James B. Parker operated a sore at Cauleysville, on the old Three Notch Road, in the 1830's. This store was in the vacinity of the Bill Butler place on the Rose Hill-Burnout Road. In this store was the old Cauleysville post office, established in 1839. Listed are some of the customers names who had accounts appearing in the records of James B. Parker's store in Cauleysville. These are among the pioneer settlers of Covington County, many of whom have decendents living today in this county. Robert Himphill Henry Kimbro Andrew Feagin Jesse Gainer Hiram Johnson William Wasdon Henry Parker Asa Moody John Holley Samuel Jones Wesley Barrett Micheal Moody Thomas H. Hendley Sampson Robbins Richard Norton Richardson Feagin Jacob Rials Harvey Jones Jerimiah Darby Archibald Tubberville William Luker Zaza Lownsberry Harris Branham J.W.Barnet Bartholmew Cauley Simeon Beaufored Richard Singleton Wiley Williams Joseph Branham MitcheJohn David Row Josiah Jones Giles Bryan Martha Barret Council D. Taylor Calvin Holly David Cauley Needham Parker Sarah C. Barrett Seth Boyett William H. Danielly Samson Banham Barrett D. Joyner Jonathan Carter Jesse Bryan Sr. Edmond Price Jesse Adams John G. Carpenter Lazure Blackmon Harrison Jones James M. Thompson David Donaldson Sr. Issac Prescott Benjamin Davis James Branham William Singleton John Chamlis Archibald M. Furshon Rebecca Colvin James B. Robbins Charles King Allen Perry Elizabeth King Abraham Fannin Jr. Thomas Robbins Jr. Daniel Barrett Nelson Moody John A. Sims John Jones Sr. Eli Parker Stephen Carter Jesse Dubose Aaron Andres John Davis Desire P. Tillman John Tubberville Archibald Rials John H. Harrison James D. Taylor Henry Robbins William M. Sasser Thomas Hanes John Carter Richard Smith Bryan McDonald Simeon Manscill Leroy Straughn Anguish Malloy Mathew Burt Joshua Dickson Jesse Bryan Jr. John Hall James Nelson Ichabard Robbins Thomas Robbns Jr. Levi Moody William Boyett Elizabeth Singleton Charles Jones King James David Blair F.J. Barrett Margaret Parker William Blair Samuel Wetherford William Willaims Solomon Moody Giles Tricky John Browder C.J. Drake William Smith Thomas King Jordon Clark William Holley Jr. James A. Smith David Wood Asa Carter Asa Moody Jr. John B. Sasser William Oglesby Lloyd Butler Thomas Feagin Abraham Fannin Daniel Maloy Lewis Stricklin Willis Smith John A. Owen Henry M. Harrison William Holley Sr. Thomas Jones Kade Robbins Richard Williams Minor Williams John W. Jones Mary Robbins Stanley Hall Vinson Underwood Noah Carroll Paul Auten William H. Hillbun Sr. Edmond Russell Mastin Sawyer Wilson Williams Byrd Sasser James T. Cannon William A. Sexton Stephen Hogg Bennet F. Boyett John Perret Enos Tubberville Peoples C. Jordan Joseph Singleton Eliza Mitchell John Coon Miss Nancy Cauley Hugh Adams Jonathan O. Ballard William F. Rodgers John Boyett John Maloy Bennett Boyett Sr. Isaah King Simon Williams David Dun Eliza Martin Edwin Turmon Jordan Lindsey Lewis Harrelson William Blair Sr. John Murphy Wiley Underwood William Robbins Josiah Jones Sr. John W. Gates B.L. Jordan Burrel Boyett Thomas H. Hendley Sr. George Clark Emanuel Boyett Miss Elizabeth Cauley Miss Rebecca Cauley Allen Williamson George Reace L.B. Rodgers Furney Tisdale Isaiah Mitchel Silan Jernigan Winaford Jernigan J.C. Bozeman William Carpenter Jesse B. Rice D.L. Cauley G.B. Higgs Mary Tubberville C.T. Stewart D.H. Ganey J.H. Rowell J.E. Rowell James Graves William Graves Henry Owens G.G. Carter A.C. Straughn J.R. Stewart John Turmon J.T. Richards O.A. Dauphin Andrew Row Moses Carter Annen Boyett Sampson Branham Jackson Chanler Zebedee Taylor David Donalson Lewis Harrelson John McLaughlin Duncan McLaughlin Martin Green James Jackson Elisha Harrell L.R. Moody James T. Drake
© "Tracking Your Roots"
All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those researching
their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of
these pages is prohibited--Copyright is retained by the author/contributor of the material and publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent
is in violation of the law. All persons contributing material for posting on
these pages do so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, and are responsible for assuring that no copyright is violated by submission.
Tracking Your Roots